Publications and Other Media
Below is a list of articles, books and other publications in the Italian Heritage Collection, Hood Local History Center, Citizens Library. Those available in electronic format on this website are indicated.
- Marilyn A. Posner, "St. John: Washington’s Sister City in Italy,” Observer-Reporter, August 31, 1981.
- Tina Calabro, “Tylerdale garage a wealth of history,” Observer-Reporter, April 8, 2016.
- Rick Shrum, “Washington’s Italian Heritage will be on display at Citizens Library,” Observer-Reporter, December 29, 2016.
- Tina Calabro, “Slices of Life: Collecting the stories of Washington’s first Italian families,” Observer-Reporter, September 19, 2017.
- Tina Calabro, “‘Garage Museum’ finds a home,” Observer-Reporter, June 6, 2018.
- Tina Calabro, “Lodges played large part in Italian-American history,” Observer-Reporter, September 25, 2018
- Bob Batz "Angelo's Restaurant: Still saucy at age 79," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, November 5, 2018.
- Tina Calabro, "Washington Italian Festival to honor city’s historic barbers,” Observer-Reporter, September 27, 2019.
- Rick Shrum, “That’s Amore: South Strabane Township Native Exploring Washington's Italian Heritage,” Observer-Reporter, August 6, 2021.
- Tina Calabro, “Servant 'Up on the Hill': My Italian American Grandmother,” Western Pennsylvania History, Winter, 2015.
- Melissa E. Marinaro, "Researching and Writing with the Italian American Program"
Memoirs, Family Histories, Immigration History
- Laura Adamsky, Salvatore Veltri and Saveria Matragrano Genealogy
- Mary Brignano and Nicholas Ciotola, Boundless Lives: Italian Americans of Western Pennsylvania (2002), Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.
- Nicholas P. Ciotola, Italians of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania (2005), Images of America
- Anna Harsh, La Danza, Conflict, Passion and Healing (2022)
- Melissa E.Marinaro, Highlights from the Italian American Collection: Western Pennsylvania Stories (2020)
- Floyd Marasco, Tylerdale…as I remember it! (2010)
- Virginia Proia Rea, 104 Life Lessons Learned (2015)
- Virginia Proia Rea, On the Virg: Stories of our Italian Family (2016)
- Marlene Zullo Wilson, Remember Forever (2000)
- Program Books from Washington County Italian Heritage Festivals, 1982-1988.
- James A. Ciletti, Sunfire: A Collection of Poems, Terra Publications (2006)
- Sunda Cornetti, “The Assimilation of Italian Immigrant and their Children Through a Variety of Educational Experiences in a Rural Area,” doctoral dissertation, West Virginia University, 1986
- Anthony Walter Costanzo, "A Geographic Study of the Italian Community in Washington, PA: 1900 – 1970,” master’s thesis, Penn State University, 1973
Audio and Video
- Interview with Joe Mancuso (2017), conducted by Bill Belleno, Joe Kanotz and Tom Olszewski